Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 26 16 4:59 AM

Tags : : ,

Hi All

If God was so inclined to "physically" write the Ten Commandments in stone tablets "himself", then why would he decide to write the remainder of the Bible through the hands of so many men over such a long period? Indeed, if he was willing to write one part, then why not write it all so that there would be no question of "his word" being preserved?

As it is, it seems there are redundancies and even contradictions in the human writings (for example, the Gospels, where the same story of Jesus is retold, but with differences in style, content, and even descriptions of the same events) which would not be present if God had simply composed the entire Bible himself.

Pearl what is your take on this?

Thanks
Modise
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Sep 27 16 7:58 AM

Hello Modise, (cited scriptues are links)
It is so good to "see" you here, and to "hear" from you again :)
Please consider four scriptures, regarding the Bible being written by men...

"For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." (2Pet.1:21)
"For it will not be you speaking, but the spirit of your father speaking through you" (Marr.10:20)
"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope." (Rom.15:4)
"
All Scripture is inspired of God and is useful for teaching, for rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" (2Tim.3:16)

According to the Bible, God uses humans to convery His message. Yet most of His message is written and described in allegory-- symbolism.
If those symbols are to be interpreted according to God and His intended meaning,
we would also need from Him, the keys to such accurate interpretation. Those keys would also need to come from Him, and be found in scripture.

The key to the meaning of Bible symbolism, is scripture. But if one symbol were defined in another symbol, we could never find the truth, but would be going in circles. Remember that the way Jesus explained the deeper meaning, was by relating the truth, within a physical reality that his hearers understood. That was the standard of his method of teaching through parables which his audience could relate to.

That is the purpose of the scriptures. They are a physical account, written by witnesses. They serve as the basis of understanding the symbolic-- especially prophecy.

We learn from the account of Moses and the stone tablets. It establishes some basic truths about how God has chosen to interact with fallen mankind. First, we learn from God giving Moses the tablets written by His own hand,
that God uses leaders to convey His message and requirements to His people.
We learn that even stone, can carry that message (Luke19:40). That physical lesson has a deeper spiritual meaning, somewhat revealed at 2Cor.3:3...
"You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts."
The heart is compared to stone...
 "I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh." (Eze.11:19)
"This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds." (Heb.10:16)

A full understanding of the meaning and implications of these two scriptures within the mind of God's priests, would not be full, if it were not possible to compare them to the original physical events that took place with Moses.
Yet without the testimony of those hearts "of flesh"/softened, mentioned above (which contain God's law written on them), the reality would not become evident.
In other words,
the laws of God within the heart, are not evident, unless that heart bears testimony (Luke6:44-45).
Through that testimony, God's priests save, are saved, and are clearly identified to those seeking salvation (Rom.10:8-10).
The basis of understanding this, is the physical account of Moses and the tablets, recorded for our reference.
The Bible, IS THAT TESTIMONY, not of God, but of it's writers, as they bear witness to God's spirit, as it guided them to write about their personal experience, as witnesses to the reality. The expression of God's truths, must be experienced and expressed, by witnesses, in order to be established as truth (John8:17). In recording the Bible through the witnesses that personally experienced the validity of the record; God's message through the scriptures, is verified. That would not be the case, if His message were merely His own statement and assertions. God would not hold it's readers as bound to obey and heed, because He has given mankind free will. He does not demand obedience, merely founded on heresay. Through an historic account of actual events by witnesses, as to cause and effect; God's Word demonstrates, the justification of His requirements, so that mankind is without excuse.

Regarding the differences between the accounts of the same events...
each of the apostles hearts were unique. Each had their own individual account of what took place, based upon their own perspective and depth of understanding. Yet each account, speaks to those of similar perspective, and when all the accounts are combined, the mature are given a fuller picture. Please consider part of God's description of the Holy City...

It is described as having 12 gemstones as it's foundation (Rev.21:19). We are also told that the 12 foundation stones, are the 12 apostles (Rev.21:14; Eph.2:20).
How might an apostle, compare to a precious gem?

Each gemstone which Revelation mentions, has it's own color.
Color is a reflection of light. That light is being reflected and emitted, based upon the chemical composition and properties of that precious and rare stone.
Light is one of the symbols used to describe God's truths (Ps.36:9; John1:14,9,4; 12:36; 1Thess.5:5; Matt.5:14).
Each gem, conveys the light it is receiving, according to it's own properties and qualities.
Not all light is conveyed by all gems,
but in combination, the Holy City is filled with precious and beautiful light, as it's foundation.
I hope you can perceive how and why, God might choose to offset the dark failure of Adam,
with the success and beauty of those who love God's truths, to the death.
Gemstones started out as common rocks. But with refinement by fire, and the pressures of this world,
 such common stones are transformed into rare and precious materials, fit to bear the laws of the Creator, within them.
The Holy City is a symbolic pictoral description of the Temple in which God's spirit has chosen to dwell.
With the presence of His spirit, comes an abiding place of Truth. 
If God has given us all His laws directly, all written on literal rocks, tablets, or scrolls,
 would such worshipers of spirit and truth (whom God is seeking to worship Him- John4:24), come to be?

Those who worshiped God according to the literal stones, did come to be. They were the Jewish nation.
But Christ came as high priest of a far better arrangement,
where His priests would serve eternally out of great love for their heavenly Father,
and not due to a constant need to attone for their sins... which only ended in death.
Why?
Because love for God's life giving truths were not in the hearts of those lead by literal stone tablets (John5:42),
where they needed to be written, in order to gain eternal life.
God does not want slaves who serve for fear of death. He want's those who serve from the heart because
of the love of God to them, and in them.
They truly become His sons.
By serving from a heart filled with a love of truth and obedience,
the judicial condemnation of sin and death, is removed. These faithful defy the rebellion of Adam and Eve,
and so like Christ, they provide the basis for the removal of sin, from God's creation.
In turn, they strive to save yet others, according to their knowledge of God's love.

I hope the scriptural throughts expressed, help to satisfy your questions.
Love in Christ,
Pearl

Last Edited By: Pearl Doxsey Oct 12 16 5:42 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Sep 27 16 1:06 PM

Dear Modise,
Now that I have returned from taking my mother for a medical appointment, I can write some more of what I wanted to offer you.
I thought it might be helpful to be more direct in my response to your questions.
You asked,
Why would God decide to write the remainder of the Bible through the hands of so many men over such a long period?

I hope you may have gleaned that God's reason for using humans, is because of His righteous judgment,
requiring that the salvation of mankind finds it's basis in those who prove their righteousness and loyalty to the truths of God,
to counter the unrighteous betrayal to the truths of God, which resulted in the need for salvation.
Those loyal to truth, must prove such, by their preaching of it, recording of it, and living in harmony with it.
All those who manifest such loyalty, have lived over a wide stretch of time. They have existed since Abel, and that righteous generation will exist up until the end (when the final remnant of them, will be revealed -Rom.8:19). In this period of restoration (beginning with the expulsion from Eden, and ending at Armageddon);
God has been recording the faithful in His memory and in the Lamb's scroll of life.
These faithful witnesses of God throughout the ages, fittingly recorded the truths they received from God's spirit, for the benefit of us all.

Next you ask;
"If God was willing to write one part, then why not write it all so that there would be no question of "his word" being preserved?"
 Well, the question of faithfulness to the truths of God, is not so much about God proving faithful, but in sons of men proving faithful.
The scriptures are a record of both.
Since we have with us, God's preserved Word,
most profoundy demonstrated in the ministry of Christ;
I don't really understand your calling into question, whether or not God's Words of truth have been preserved.
While the Great Tribulation does bring a suspension of God's message being declared,
 the reception of those messages is restored... through his messengers (Greek: "angels") when the priesthood is once again restored and functioning.
God's Temple priesthood, is the dwelling of God's spirit, and the truthful messages he conveys through them, to those seeking God's instruction....

“For the lips of a priest ought to preserve knowledge, because he is the messenger of the Lord Almighty and people seek instruction from his mouth." (Mal.2:7)
"Then I heard a holy one speaking, and another holy one said to that particular one who was speaking, "How long will the vision about the regular sacrifice apply, while the transgression causes horror, so as to allow both the holy place and the host to be trampled?" He said to me, "For 2,300 evenings and mornings; then the holyplace will be properly restored."  (Dan.8:13-14)
"And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God." (Rev.21:3)
"Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?" (1Cor.3:16).
    As long as God has priests serving Him, the reaching of His Words to those "seeking instruction", will be preserved.

You also say;
"It seems there are redundancies and even contradictions in the human writings (for example, the Gospels, where the same story of Jesus is retold, but with differences in style, content, and even descriptions of the same events) "
I hope my previous reply has explained a few of the reasons for these things. But I would add...
REDUNDENCY:
 -affording the individual writer to establish his own testimony, resulting in a righteous standing with God.
 -an eternal record of testimony concerning the qualification of those to be heirs with Christ.
 -a fulfillment of God's righteous requirements of faithful sacrifice for the sake of truth, by those who reverse the condemnation of creation through Adam.
 -an acceptance and acknowledgment of God's sovereignty, by those other than God Himself.
 -a demonstration that God's requirements for eternal life, are reacheable by those born of Adam, ...testified to and proven, by His witnesses and their record, throughout the ages.
There are more reasons for human testimony, not mentioned.

CONTRADICTION:
I have responded to a number of such seeming contradictions, clarifiying how what may seem like a contradiction, actually is not.
If you have concern over such an example, I welcome you to send me the verses, and I will see if I can help with your particular example.

Finally, you said;
"what or why were the ten commandments so important to God that he penned them down with his own finger, not once but twice?"
God's nation had just escaped their captive condition under the Egyptians. They were facing years in the wilderness, under the direct leadership of Moses and Aaron.
Although they had a tangible sign of having the primary representative/Word of God (who became Christ -John1:14; Ex.13:21; 1Cor.10:1-4), in their midst; they needed to understand, that God was leading His nation in a tangible way, through Moses. The nation had divine testimony given to them (through the tablets written by God Himself/the face of Moses glowed/God spoke through the Word -Num.12:1-8), that God chose to give His laws, to and through, Moses.
   The tablets containing the "ten commandments" were of primary importance, because through these first steps toward a righteous standing with God; a people could be cleansed in comparison to the nations around them, becoming a people through which, God's purposes to restore the creation to Him, could commence according to His perfect justice.
 It became necessary to "pen" them twice, because Moses destroyed the first set, when he saw that the people did not deserve the covenant with God, which the tablets represented. God still wanted to establish that covenant with those who remained after the smiting of the idolators, and so God re-wrote them. (Read Ex. ch.34)

Thank you for your patience in waiting for and considering, this supplemental reply.
Present demands upon my time sometimes requires, that my work be done in pieces.
Love in Christ,
Pearl

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help